Hey guys, welcome to another OddLearning post!
I want to share with you a list of British slangs a good friend of mine taught me 🙂 and not only her but many good TV shows like Doctor Who, Sherlock or movies set on the 18th century with British influence like Pirates of the Caribbean.
If you are a fan of a British series you must know so many already, but there is nothing wrong with learning a few more, right?
NOTE: I’m including bad words as well, so beware if you are underage.
To start, do you know the definition of British slang?
British slang is an English language slang used and originating in the United Kingdom and also used to a limited extent in Anglophone countries especially by British expats. Slang is informal language sometimes peculiar to a particular social class or group and its use in Britain dates back to before the 16th century. The language of slang, in common with the English language, is changing all the time; new words and phrases are being added and some are used so frequently by so many, they almost become main stream.
English-speaking nations of the former British Empire may also use this slang to a certain extent, but also incorporate their own slang words to reflect their different cultures. Not only is the slang used by British expats, but some of these terms are incorporated into other countries’ everyday slang, such as in Canada and Ireland.
If you want to learn more about it make sure to check: Wikipedia British Slang.
Now let’s get to the list!!!!
- Absobloodylootely! – Yes!
- Ace – Cool
- Anti-Clockwise – Counter Clockwise
- Anorak – A person weirdly attracted to something
- Arse – Ass
- Arsehole – Anus
- Arse-over-tit – Fall over
- Bangers – Sausage
- Barmy – Crazy
- Bee’s knees – Awesome
- Bell End – Penis
- Berk – Stupid
- Bespoke – Custom made
- Bit’s and Bobs – This and That
- Blighty – Britain
- Blimey! – My goodness
- Bloody – Damn!
- Bob’s your Uncle – There you go!
- Bog Roll – Toilet paper
- Bollocks – Balls
- Brilliant! – Great
- Bugger – Jerk (Also used when you screw up and say “shit”)
- C of E – Church of England
- Chav – White trash
- Chat up – Flirt
- Chap – Male
- Chips – French Fries
- Chuffed – Proud
- Cock-up – Screw Up (You messed up)
- Collywobbles – Feeling nervous
- Daft Cow – Idiot
- Dodgy – Risky
- Dog-Bollocks – Something really good or awesome
- Done up like a Kipper – Beaten up
- Don’t get your knickers on a twist – Don’t get worked up
- Fanny – Vagina
- Fanny Adams – Screw all
- Fit – Hot
- Flog a dead horse – Bringing up a topic over and over
- Fortnight – Two weeks
- Gentleman Sausage – …..do I have to say it? a.k.a Penis
- Give you a Bell – Call you
- Gobshite – Despicable
- Gobsmacked – Amazed
- Grott – Rubbish or Garbage
If you are still reading the post, what do you think? Have you heard any of them? How about a few more?
- Honk – Vomit
- Hook it – Run (When fleeing)
- Idiot Box – TV
- I’m off to Bedfordshire – Going to bed
- I’m alright Jack – I’m fine and you (This sentence is sarcastic, used as a remark when someone is being selfish or uncaring)
- Jack the lad – Someone regarded as a show off
- Joe Soap – Escape Goat
- John Thomas – …..Penis
- Knackered – Tired
- Know one’s onions – Have knowledge
- Laughing gear – Mouth
- Loo – Toilet
- Lost the plot – Gone crazy
- Manky – Dirty
- Milk run – Running an Errand
- Moggy – Cat
- Moony – Crazy
- Munter – Ugly Person
- Nick – Steal
- Nob – Someone of high social rank
- Nutcase – Insane
- On the pull – Looking for sex
- Out to Lunch – When someone drunk dozes off
- Plastered – Drunk
- Plonker – Idiot
- Ponce – Poser
- Porkies – Lies
- Punter – Prostitutes customer
- Queer someone’s pitch – Spoil someone’s effort
- Richard the third – Turd (When insulting someone)
- Rozzer – Policeman
- See a man about a dog – Do a deal or go to the toilet for your “business”
- Shag – Screw
- Shambles – Bad Shapes
- Stag Night – Bachelors party
- Starkers – Naked
- Strawberry Creams – Breasts
- Tad – A little bit
- Throw a spanner in the works – Screwing up
- Tosser – Idiot
- Tosh – Nonsense
- Twigs & Berries – Genitalia
- Up the Duff – Pregnant
- Wanker – Idiot
- Wicked – Cool
- Willy – …Penis (again)
- Willy-waving – Guy showing off too much.
As you probably noticed there is plenty of insults, odd names for genitals and some degrading words.
I didn’t include the ones extremely disrespectful and racist.
Slang are created each generation and continue to evolve, most of them are “bad words” as they develop mostly in our youth, not just British ones but all over the world!
I lived in Mexico in my youth, so I learned plenty of slangs in Spanish, and now the younger generation uses very similar ones, but already changing.
There nothing wrong with using them, but make sure is in the appropriate environment. You do not want to use slangs towards your superiors or older people, always be mindful, remember many slangs are racist and degrading to certain groups of people, such as the “N” word.
To be honest I wish some didn’t exist as many are extremely hurtful. (The worst ones are towards Homosexuals, and did not add them to the post)
Anyways, now you know the meaning of some British slang! If you know any we haven’t mentioned, please let us know on the comments!
For more awesome content click here!