Hi! and Welcome to another OddLearning post.
Today I’m going to share some natural remedies to help fight off Insomnia.
First of all we need to know what it is to be able to help it.
Insomnia, is a sleep disorder where people have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep as long as desired.
Anxiety, depression and stress are the most common causes of Chronic Insomnia.
It becomes a cycle where being unable to sleep increases the causes, which then increase the problem.
Thousands of people struggle with insomnia, affecting their daily lives, work, studies and relationships.
Before you start taking prescriptions to help you, its highly recommendable to try some natural remedies, but if prolonged and increasing you should visit your doctor.
Now lets list the best Natural Remedies!
Herbs and Flowers;
They have many natural properties, used since ancient times, they have help us fight many diseases and continue to do so.
Valerian herb is known to calm nervousness and anxiety, It has sedative properties that act directly in your nervous system, people have described feeling their body get warm, and as if it slows down. Very similar to sleeping pills but naturally.
There is different ways you can consume and obtain the benefits of Valerian Herb;
To start, you can drink Tea made from the Valerian Root one hour before going to sleep.
Or, use Valerian essential oil and rub it on your temples and neck.
There’s also very good, totally natural supplements proven to act faster and more efficiently.
But beware as it’s not recommended during pregnancy and lactation, since there isn’t enough research to know if it has side effects.
Some children can struggle with insomnia as well, but there is certain Valerian products that can aid them to have a good night sleep such as:
Known as Pasionaria (Spanish), it’s a Herb known for its calming and relaxation properties, recommended when struggling with insomnia, seizures, hysteria and also helping lower blood pressure.
There is different ways to consume Passion Flower;
to start, you can drinking one cup of Pasionaria Tea one hour before going to bed.
Or, make your own extract by submerging dried passion flower in alcohol (5 gm for 30 ml) in a glass container for a week. After that, take 20 to 25 drops every night.
If you do not have the time to make it, or you would rather a non alcoholic version, there’s many alcohol – free extracts you can buy for fair prices.
Last but not least, 100% Natural Supplements.
There is no known side effects when taken by itself, but if mixed with other natural remedies, unknown side effects might trigger.
Since, it’s name is a synonymous of oregano, its most commonly known as Sweet Marjoram.
Like Valerian herb and Passion Flower it’s known for its sedative properties and is used to treat insomnia, stress and nerves.
The most effective way to obtain its properties is by;
Making and drinking a max of 3 cups of Tea a day.
Taking more could cause bowel movement and stomach ache. You do not want that on top of your insomnia!
Take a relaxing bath.
- In warm water soak around 5 to 10 gm of fresh or dried Passion Flower, dip for 15 min or more.
- Or, instead of the option above you can always use a few drops of essence oil. This will help your body relax!
But I wont lie, its most common use is as seasoning, so Marjoram Products are quite cheap, do not pay a fortune if you ever buy any!
Known as Lemon Balm or Toronjil (Spanish), Melissa Herb has special properties that help your body relax and sleep better.
You can drink a cup of tea before going to bed, whether you have tea bags or leaves let them in soak in the hot water for 15 min. Nothing wrong will happen if you leave them longer but the flavor can become quite strong.
Another option is to get some essence oil and place 3 to 5 drops in a sugar cube, then eat it half an hour before bed, make sure you get the edible one, as there are different types. You do not want to consume the aromatic ones!
Peppermint is used to ease digestive problems, reduce palpitations and tachycardia, it also helps you reduce the psychosomatic effects of depression and of course it helps us sleep better.
The most common way to consume it is in Tea, but i personally recommend you add it on your food, it goes great in beef stews, giving them a rich aroma and also endless health benefits!
You can find it in many ways; tea, oil, essence oil, extract, fresh leaves, etc…
There is no side effects to consuming Peppermint!
There are tons of herbs, even some we don’t know but I hope you give the ones I mention a try. I struggle with insomnia, and they have helped me reduce the fatigue and actually get some sleep, it’s worth a try right?
But besides teas, there is a few more tips I want to share;
- Before going to bed, drink a warm glass of milk mixed with a little bit of cinnamon and honey. This helps not to wake up as often during your sleep.
- Eat more oatmeal for breakfast, this gives you more energy to use during the day, so when you hit the bed you are tired and feel more sleepy.
- Eat more lettuce, they have relaxing properties. Did you know that to help babies relax and be able to sleep they put lettuce leaves in the water? It really works!
- Inside your pillowcase place a small pouch with chamomile, dried peppermint, and eucalyptus. The aromas can help you relax, and what better place to have them than in the place you rest.
- Don’t have heavy dinners! But don’t starve! Like the saying;
- “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.”
- No sweet drinks! Sugar will boost your system, and is not what you want before bed!
- Avoid watching TV or using your mobile device right before bed, they are stimulants and can delay sleepiness.
- Relaxing Techniques, such as yoga. Helping your muscles stretch and relax can help.
- Soak your feet in warm water with salt, then dry and massage.
- Try to go to bed at the same time every day, program your body clock with a routine.
- Keep the room where you sleep clean and ordered, if you are surrounded by a messy environment you will feel restless. And if you can make sure you sleep in the dark, this allows your body to completely relax and recover.
I hope you liked this information, and please if your insomnia persist make sure to see your doctor, it is not to be treated lightly, as it can have serious side effects on your body.
See…..not to be treated lightly…. 🙁
If you would like to see more awesome content click here!