Posting this recipe as I constantly make it and I wish more people would give it try!
Hello guys! Today OddLearning brings you this amazing, delicious Mexican Dessert Recipe!
The tastiest cake ever the MEXICAN CHOCOLATE FLAN CAKE!!!!
A perfect combination on the bitter sweet chocolate accompanied by the soft caramel glazed flan…. it’s delicious!
Now, we are called OddLearning for a reason.
We discuss all types of topics because we want you (our beloved reader) to have a little bit of everything 🙂
So we are happy to share our most beloved recipe, a FAMILY RECIPE! That you can make for you and your loved ones.
Let’s get to it!
Mexican Chocoflan Cake:
For the flan:
- 6 – 7 Eggs
- ½ can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Half Cream
- 2 tbsp Vanilla
For the caramel:
- ¾ cup Sugar
For the cake:
- 1 box Favorite Cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- Adding an extra egg to the flan makes it denser and firmer.
- If you are unable to find the Mexican Half Cream you can replace it with sour cream, don’t worry it doesn’t affect the flavor, but make sure to use a thick cream.
- For the cake, whether you use cake mix or your own recipe using olive oil will intensify the chocolate flavor and moisture.
- The best mold for this cake is the fluted tube pan, using a regular round mold won’t allow the flan to cook in the middle.
- You can make different caramels, such as coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond and more! Don’t be afraid to experiment.
- To make a Milk caramel a.k.a Cajeta you need a glass pot, same process as the sugar caramel but adding milk once its melted and stir patiently as it can burn easily. NEVER TRY THIS ON A METAL POT-PAN!!!
- Heat oven to 350F
- Place a tray bigger than your cake pan in the oven. You could use one of those aluminum ones they sell for cooking turkey.
- Pour some water, if possible already warmed up in it. You have to be able to place your cake pan in with ease, and the water must rise up to half of it, do not overflow it as it could get in your cake.
- Place the sugar on a pan or pot and melt on low heat, make sure to stir constantly as you do not want to burn it.
- Once your caramel is done, place it on the pan; be careful as it’s very hot!Before it hardness completely, move your pan around so you cover the bottom fully. Set it aside so it cools off. It will be ready once you hear the hardened caramel crack.
- Now start mixing the flan, this one is easy as you can mix all the ingredients in no specific order, just mix until it has a smooth liquid texture.You can use a blender or mixer.
- Now for the cake, depends on type you will use. If it’s the cake mix then you can use the amount and ingredients we wrote, then mix or beat vigorously for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Grab your pan. Grease and flour the areas that are not covered in caramel, so probably the sides and middle tube right?
NOTE: Some of the flour might land on your caramel, before you pour anything in clean it. The easiest way to do it is with an old style wood brush for oiling bread or just a napkin. Be careful as it’s easy to remove the rest of the coated areas.
- Pour cake mix evenly on pan.
- Now pour the flan mix, but you have to do it slowly, as you do not want to hurt the batters texture.
NOTE: There is two ways I pour the flan:
- Use a ladle to redirect the flow, kind of like an umbrella in the rain.
- Or, pour against the inner part of the mold, of course doing it slowly.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, you will notice the chocolate batter rising to the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil, remember, shiny part on cake’s side.
NOTE: To prevent the cake sticking to the aluminum, cut another sheet of it and roll it into a ball, then place it on the inner circle of the pan, giving more height, thus preventing the cake from sticking when it rises.
- Place gently on the tray with water in the oven.
- Cook for 50 min, then remove foil and cook for other 15 to 20.
- Even if you stick a toothpick to check, it will come out as if it was raw because of the creamy flan.
- Take it out, and let it cool a minimum of 2 hrs. If you remove it earlier the moisture of the flan might squish the cake.
- Don’t forget to store in the fridge, it can last for a week!
- Last step. Enjoy!
(These are the best Fluted Tube Cake Pans we have tried, if you don’t have one try these ones out!)
(All the pictures were taken by us, meant to be used by OddLearning. If you would like to use them please let us know! )
We hope you try this recipe out! If you want more recipes please let us know in the comments!
For more awesome content click here!