Welcome to another OddLearning post!
Today we will talk (write) about Phobias.
Phobias “morbid fears” are a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent object or situation, they are consuming and can lead to panic attacks, becoming very overwhelming.
They can affect a person for a long period of time, causing them to do anything to avoid them, which can expose them to greater dangers than the one they are trying to get away from, but it’s not something they can face and overcome easily, being close to their phobia can cause great distress.
Please never, not even joking force a person to overcome a phobia without proper help, it can lead to tragedies.
There is 3 types of Phobias;
Caused by particular objects or situations, resulting in immediate anxiety and worsening to become panic attacks. This phobia can be subdivided into categories like; Animal type, Blood-Injury type, natural environment type, Situational type, and more.
Most known as the fear of leaving your safe area, it can be your home, or a place you feel comfortable in. It can also be related to specific phobias, such as social embarrassment (social Agoraphobia), fear of germs (OCD) or PTSD (related to trauma that occurred out of their safe space).
Also known as social anxiety disorder, its mostly caused by fearing of other people and what they think of the person.
The Phobias mentioned above have been clinically proven, and there are many treatments and therapies to help overcome them, like Hypnotherapy.
Unlike fears, most phobias need professional help, so don’t be afraid to seek it if you need it.
Before I start listing the names of Phobias I have to mention that there are a number of terms that use the suffix “phobia” but are non-clinically, meaning these are described as hatred, fear, dislike, hostility, prejudice, or disapproval towards the person or object of the “phobia”;
- Homophobia– Most of us have heard this term, and it’s a negative attitude and feelings towards homosexuality or people identified in the LGBT community. 🙁
- Hoplophobia– Fear of Firearms and weaponry that goes beyond simple safety measures. This one hasn’t been recognized in the medical field due to the misuse of the term in political debates. It is recognized through bigger medical conditions such as PTSD, some people have lived traumatic events related to firearms and can be triggered when seeing one or hearing loud noises causing panic attacks.
- Chemophobia– Negative attitudes and mistrust towards chemistry and synthetic chemicals.
- Xenophobia– Fear or dislike of strangers or the unknown, but its influenced by political beliefs and movements. Like Hitler towards Jewish people, or the current political influence of Trump towards Latino people, specially Mexicans. You probably know more examples.
(There is too many to add in one post, if you would like to know more Please let us know! We will gladly answer your comments and emails.)
Now Let’s start with the Phobia names! We will also include some that haven’t been clinically proven but aren’t racist, or hateful towards an object or group of people, Ready to find out?:
- Ablutophobia– Fear of washing or bathing.
- Achluophobia– Fear of darkness.
- Acrophobia– Fear of heights.
- Agliophobia– Fear of pain.
- Ailurophobia– Fear of cats.
- Alektorophobia– Fear of chickens.
- Amaxophobia– Fear of riding in a car.
- Androphobia– Fear of men.
- Anthropophobia/Sociophobia– Fear of people or society.
- Arsonphobia/Pyrophobia– Fear of fire.
- Asymmetriphobia– Fear of asymmetrical things.
- Atychiphobia– Fear of failure.
- Automatonophobia– Fear of ventriloquist’s dummies, animatronic creatures.
- Autophobia/Isolophobia– Fear of being alone or of oneself.
- Batrachophobia– Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders, etc.
- Bibliophobia– Fear of books.
- Botanophobia– Fear of plants.
- Brontophobia– Fear of thunder and lightning.
- Bufonophobia– Fear of toads.
- Chronophobia– Fear of time.
- Claustrophobia– Fear of confined spaces
- Coimetrophobia– Fear of cemeteries.
- Coulrophobia– Fear of clowns.
- Cynophobia– Fear of dogs or rabies.
- Decidophobia– Fear of making decisions.
- Disposophobia– Fear of throwing stuff out. Hoarding.
- Doxophobia– Fear of expressing opinions or of receiving praise
- Eisoptrophobia– Fear of mirrors or of seeing oneself in a mirror.
- Enochlophobia– Fear of crowds.
- Gamophobia– Fear of marriage.
- Gerascophobia– Fear of growing old.
- Gymnophobia– Fear of nudity.
- Hadephobia– Fear of hell.
- Hagiophobia– Fear of saints or holy things.
- Herpetophobia– Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.
- Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia– Fear of the number 666.
- Hypnophobia– Fear of sleep or of being hypnotized.
- Iatrophobia– Fear of going to the doctor or of doctors.
- Ideophobia– Fear of ideas.
- Iophobia– Fear of poison.
- Katsaridaphobia– Fear of cockroaches.
- Ligyrophobia– Fear of loud noises.
- Lilapsophobia– Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Lockiophobia– Fear of childbirth.
- Mechanophobia– Fear of machines.
- Metrophobia– Fear or hatred of poetry.
- Mottephobia– Fear of moths.
- Mycophobia– Fear or aversion to mushrooms.
- Necrophobia– Fear of death or dead things.
- Numerophobia– Fear of numbers.
- Obesophobia– Fear of gaining weight.(Pocrescophobia)
- Omphalophobia– Fear of belly buttons.
- Onomatophobia– Fear of hearing a certain word or of names.
- Pupaphobia– Fear of puppets.
- Paraskavedekatriaphobia– Fear of Friday the 13th.
- Pedophobia– Fear of children.
- Peniaphobia– Fear of poverty.
- Phasmophobia– Fear of ghosts.
- Philophobia– Fear of falling in love or being in love.
- Pogonophobia– Fear of beards.
- Psychophobia– Fear of mind.
- Sexophobia– Fear of the opposite sex. (Heterophobia)
- Thalassophobia– Fear of the sea.
- Trypanophobia– Fear of injections.
- Wiccaphobia: Fear of witches and witchcraft.
- Zoophobia– Fear of animals.
Basically for every type of fear that raises to a level of extreme anxiety it’s give the name of phobia, as you can see with the ones above.
I hope you enjoyed this post 🙂 as I enjoyed writing about it.
If you struggle with one or more phobias and it’s affecting your daily life please seek help, you’re not the only one!
If you want to check out more awesome content click here!